Can Midlevels serve as Teaching Physicians?

I'm looking for an authoritative source that says who exactly is allowed to be a Teaching Physician. Can a Midlevel do that or does it have to be a physician? I haven't been able to find anything from CMS or in the scope of practice information for PAs. Do they just assume that because it's called a Teaching Physician that we should know only physicians can perform those duties?
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Kathy Olson, BA, CPC
Sioux Falls, SD

Comments

• Evaluation & Management (E/M) services provided in teaching facilities, from the CMS Medicare Claims Processing Manual, chapter 12, section 100.1.1:

Maxine Lewis, CMM, CPC, CPC-I, CPMA, CCS-P

Main: 513-771-7070
    Direct: 513-672-4363

Fax: 513-326-7640

200 Northland Blvd

Cincinnati, OH 45246

mlewis@scrogginsgrear.com

www.scrogginsgrear.com

• This has great information about Teaching Physician requirements, but I still don't see anything that addresses who can serve as a Teaching Physician...
    Thanks for the reference though!

Kathy Olson, BA, CPC

• The article refers only to physicians as supervisors.

200 Northland Blvd

Cincinnati, OH 45246

www.scrogginsgrear.com

• Mid-levels can serve as "teaching physicians" for other mid-levels with the same credential (NP to NP, PA to PA) but they cannot serve as TP for resident physicians.

• That makes sense. Do you have a reference for that? I'd like to give my PA a source.

Kathy Olson, BA, CPC

• edited May 2017
    Look at the CMS Medicare Claims Processing Manual, chapter 12, section 100.1.1

Under the heading Definitions it states "Teaching Physician - A physician (other than another resident) who involves residents in the care of his or her patients."

TT

Todd Thomas, CPC, CCS-P ERcoder, Inc
    President 941 NW 164th, Suite 1
    todd@ercoder.com Edmond, OK 73013
    (405) 749-2633 www.ERcoder.com

Confidentiality notice: This communication and any accompanying file may contain confidential and/or privileged information. They are intended for the sole use of the addressee for business pertaining to ERcoder, Inc. If you received this transmission in error, you are advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance upon the communication is strictly prohibited.

• Yes, but it seems to be an incomplete definition since Teaching Physicians also teach medical students, not just residents. The rest of that Section includes information on how not to bill for medical students. So, since they're incomplete about that, then I think they might be incomplete about the part that says Teaching Physicians are physicians. Also, do medical schools contract with certain providers to do their teaching? Do they even care what Medicare says about it? So much I don't know....:)

Kathy Olson, BA, CPC

• edited May 2017
    It's not unclear at all, it says a teaching physician is a physician. There tons of other references in CMS where it says "physician or other qualified healthcare provider" when the issue being addressed can be performed by a MD or PA or NP. On this topic they specify physician.

TT

Todd Thomas, CPC, CCS-P ERcoder, Inc
    President 941 NW 164th, Suite 1
    todd@ercoder.com Edmond, OK 73013
    (405) 749-2633 www.ERcoder.com

• I agree with you Todd. This is the only situation that specifically states physician and there is no other mention of other healthcare provider..
    Maxine

200 Northland Blvd

Cincinnati, OH 45246

www.scrogginsgrear.com

• I'm in full agreement too.

Kris

Kris Cuddy, CPC, CIMC
    Healthcare Compliance Analyst
    Compliance Office
    Michigan State University HealthTeam
    East Lansing, MI
    Ofc: 517-355-4547
    Fax: 517-353-5292

• Most state licensure boards also have bylaws in place that the Midlevel provider may not supervise above their licensure level. The midlevel is below the medical physician, including a candidate resident physician.

Mary Dressler, CPC, CEMC
    Mary-dressler@ouhsc.edu