Reporting post-op visits

Has anyone seen the list yet for which codes CMS will be requiring the reporting of 99024???

Comments

• Yes, this is part of deleting global periods. CMS needs the data to probably reduce the RVUs for surgery and allow a payment for the post-op periods.
    Maxine

Maxine Lewis, CMM, CPC, CPC-I, CCS-P, CPMA
    Main: 513-771-7070
    Direct: 513-672-4363
    Fax: 513-326-7640
    200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    mlewis@scrogginsgrear.com
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

• edited May 2017
    Can you please send me a link to the list? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:59 AM
    To: Multiple recipients of list PARTB-L
    Subject: RE: [partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

Yes, this is part of deleting global periods. CMS needs the data to probably reduce the RVUs for surgery and allow a payment for the post-op periods.
    Maxine

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

Has anyone seen the list yet for which codes CMS will be requiring the reporting of 99024???
  • I would also like the link, please.

Keri Yarbrough, Billing and Collections

Physicians, Hospitals and Payers working together for the Patient
    751 E. Daily Dr. Suite 120, Camarillo, CA 93010
    Office: 805.256.7810
    Direct: 805.256.7821
    Fax: 805.256.7842
    keri.yarbrough@identityMSO.com

• This is my understanding of the 99024 thing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As to a "list", then I think you would need to see the entire MPFS showing the number of global fee period days and if a service is within a global fee period of a previous surgery, then I would guess you need to use the 99024.

In 2015, CMS proposed a change that would eliminate the “global fee period” concept
    from the 90 and 10 day period they have on many codes so that all codes would have a
    0 day global (meaning that services performed on the same day as the procedure
    would be bundled into the payment for the procedure, but zero additional days).
    MACRA had a provision in it that was enacted April 16, 2015 that prohibited the
    Secretary of the HHS from unilaterally deciding to make that change, but it did have a
    provision for the CMS to collect data to value surgical services.

That collection of data will begin January 1st at CMS and HHS, which means you may
    get requests for information from CMS on what you are including in the surgery, what
    typical followup times you see as routine, etc. Keep in mind, folks, that this is not only
    for the general surgeons or cardiovascular surgeons, etc. This will be for all
    specialties because Medicare considers many non invasive procedures under the
    global fee concept. My advice is to answer them when they ask for it because they do
    have the permission granted by MACRA of holding back 5% of the physician fee
    schedule from physicians not providing the data when requested.

In addition to answering requests from CMS and MACs when sent to you, Medicare is
    requesting providers to voluntarily report code 99024 when they perform routine
    followup visits that are included in the surgery or global period.

Those visits will not be paid separately, but they will be used to help CMS determine future changes in the
    Medicare allowed amounts for surgeries based on routine global fee periods.

July 1st of 2017, CMS will require practitioners who practice in groups with 10 or more
    practitioners in Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Nevada, New Jersey, North Dakota, Ohio,
    Oregon and Rhode Island to report followup visits with non payable code 99024. They
    are requesting providers in all states voluntarily do so effective January 1st. They
    are trying to figure out what you’ve been doing and what is routine and what is not
    routine, so they’re requesting your help.

Don
    Don Self & Associates, Inc

305 Senter Ave, Whitehouse, TX 75791
    903 871-1172 fax 480-247-5650
    donself@donself.com web: www.donself.com
    books & webinars at https://shop.donself.com

• I do understand the rule, that’s not what I’m asking. I want to know which codes will require the mandatory reporting of 99024.

“Reporting will be required only for services related to codes reported annually by more than 100 practitioners and that are reported more than 10,000 times or have allowed charges in excess of $10 million annually. (List to be published by CMS)”

A recent webinar I did said there are 270 codes for which this applies, yet I cannot find a list anywhere that tells which codes are included.

Thanks
  • https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/Downloads/2016-08-11-MACRA-Presentation.pdf

This is what I found.

From: Erica Schwalm [mailto:Erica.Schwalm@convergentsolutions.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 8:01 AM
    Subject: RE:[partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

Can you please send me a link to the list? I haven't been able to find it. Thanks

Yes, this is part of deleting global periods. CMS needs the data to probably reduce the RVUs for surgery and allow a payment for the post-op periods.
    Maxine

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

• That's prior to the final rule.

From: Keri Yarbrough [mailto:Keri.Yarbrough@identitymso.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 11:19 AM
    Subject: RE: RE:[partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/Downloads/2016-08-11-MACRA-Presentation.pdf

This is what I found.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

Maxine

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

This electronic message transmission contains information from ScrogginsGrear, Inc. which may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us by telephone (800-359-3970) or by electronic mail (consultants@scrogginsgrear.com) immediately. If any tax advice is contained in this communication, it is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed under federal law and cannot be used for that purpose.

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 10:25 AM
    Subject: [partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

• I don't have the exact reference but here is additional info:
    In the 2017 PFS final rule, CMS is making the following changes to the global period reporting provision:
    Only providers in 9 states will be affected. In the single biggest change to the provision, CMS is exempting all practices from reporting except those in the following nine states. If you are not in one of these states, your providers are exempt. If your practice has fewer than 10 providers total, and you are in one of the nine states, you are also exempt from data reporting:
     Florida
     North Dakota
     Louisiana
     Kentucky
     Ohio
     Oregon
     Nevada
     Rhode Island
     New Jersey

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 11:22 AM
    Subject: re:[partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

That's prior to the final rule.

From: Keri Yarbrough [mailto:Keri.Yarbrough@identitymso.com]
    Sent: Monday, December 19, 2016 11:19 AM
    Subject: RE: RE:[partb-l] Reporting post-op visits

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Outreach/NPC/Downloads/2016-08-11-MACRA-Presentation.pdf

This is what I found.

Maxine

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

• Erica,
    At the AMA CPT symposium in November in Chicago they simply stated the affected codes will be on the CMS "soon"...no date was given and as far as I can tell they are still not on there.
    sr

Susan Rohde, RHIT, CCS-P, CPC
    Physician Coding Manager
    Eide Bailly LLP
    4310 17th Ave. S.
    P.O. Box 2545
    Fargo, ND 58108-2545

T 701.239.8540
    M 218.205.6429
    WAN 722.0000

www.eidebailly.com

Experience the Eide Bailly Difference

• So - the mandatory reporting will only be on specific codes. I missed that and glad you pointed it out. I wonder if that list of codes is also what they are requesting on the voluntary reporting or if we have to wait until before July 1st before we get a list of what codes are required to have the 99024 on. Alot of questions - but I guess we have about 6 more months to get the answers before the docs in those select states will be required to report.

Don
    Don Self & Associates, Inc

305 Senter Ave, Whitehouse, TX 75791
    903 871-1172 fax 480-247-5650
    donself@donself.com web: www.donself.com
    books & webinars at https://shop.donself.com

On Dec 19, 2016, at 10:18 AM, Erica Schwalm wrote:

I do understand the rule, that’s not what I’m asking. I want to know which codes will require the mandatory reporting of 99024.

“Reporting will be required only for services related to codes reported annually by more than 100 practitioners and that are reported more than 10,000 times or have allowed charges in excess of $10 million annually. (List to be published by CMS)”

A recent webinar I did said there are 270 codes for which this applies, yet I cannot find a list anywhere that tells which codes are included.

Thanks
  • Here is the link- scroll down to find global period info.
    https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-11-02.html

[Description: Description: R:\General\Graphics\ScrogginsGrear\Correct Colors\ScrogginsGrear One Line Signature.png]

200 Northland Blvd
    Cincinnati, OH 45246
    www.scrogginsgrear.com

• edited May 2017
    Ah! Okay great thanks... as long as I'm not crazy. Haha :) I'll keep checking back and if I find it, I will share.

Thanks!

Erica,
    At the AMA CPT symposium in November in Chicago they simply stated the affected codes will be on the CMS "soon"...no date was given and as far as I can tell they are still not on there.
    sr

Susan Rohde, RHIT, CCS-P, CPC
    Physician Coding Manager
    Eide Bailly LLP
    4310 17th Ave. S.
    P.O. Box 2545
    Fargo, ND 58108-2545

T 701.239.8540
    M 218.205.6429
    WAN 722.0000

www.eidebailly.com

Experience the Eide Bailly Difference