PERLA

How much credit would you give if MD writes PERLA using Novitas 4x4 rule for a detailed exam? Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2017
    Of all the dumb things that payers have come up with the 4x4 rule has to be near the top of the list. You have to document 16 findings for a detailed exam but only 8 for a comprehensive.

But I digress, so if you need 4 elements in 4 systems I would count PERRLA as 4 elements. It means the:
    Pupils are Equal
    Pupils are Round
    Pupils are Reactive to Light
    Pupils are Reactive to Accommodation

TT

Todd Thomas, CPC, CCS-P ERcoder, Inc
    President 941 NW 164th, Suite 1
    todd@ercoder.com Edmond, OK 73013
    (405) 749-2633 www.ERcoder.com

Confidentiality notice: This communication and any accompanying file may contain confidential and/or privileged information. They are intended for the sole use of the addressee for business pertaining to ERcoder, Inc. If you received this transmission in error, you are advised that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or the taking of any action in reliance upon the communication is strictly prohibited.

• Agree Todd, with the 4x4 you can have a more extensive exam than a comprehensive.

LuAnn Weis, MPA, CHC, COC, CPC, CPCO, CPMA
    Director of Compliance
    Nyack Hospital
    160 N. Midland Avenue
    Nyack, NY 10960
    Ph: 845-348-7293
    Fax: 845-348-2160
    weisl@nyackhospital.org

Confidentiality Notice:
    Nyack Hospital is required by Law to protect the privacy of health information under HIPAA Rules and Regulations Part II, Article 45 CFR, Parts 160-164. This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the exclusive use of the person or the entity to which it is addressed. It may contain confidential or legally protected information. The authorized recipient is prohibited from disclosing this information to any other party and is required to destroy this information after its stated need has been fulfilled. If the recipient or reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or her/his authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you believe that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately. Any breach of confidentiality could result in potential liability.

• Idk, ridiculous I agree, but I think you could technically count it as 4 but I always that one was an all-inclusive!

Karyn Cardenas-Foray, CPC, CPMA ,CHCA, CEMC,CIMC,CSEMC
    AHIMA ICD10 PROFICIENT
    Government Reimbursement Analyst-Sharp Health Care
    PFS-CCD 3rd Floor
    858-499-4382

-