CPT 12002 vs 12032

Good afternoon,
Based on this note, what code do you guys think this might be? The provider wants to code 12002, but I am leaning more towards 12032 since the doctor say the bone. What do others think? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Labs/studies: toe X-ray: comminuted fracture, distal phalanx

Procedure note: laceration repair:
Discussed laceration with patient including indication and recommendation for suturing and patient gave verbal informed consent.

The laceration site was given a surgical prep with Hibiclens and saline rinse.
Anesthesia:  4 cc's of 2% lidocaine without epinephrine with good results.
The laceration was closed with 3-0 PDS suture material, using a simple interrupted suture pattern, 7 sutures total.  I needed to removed the avulsed portion of the nail.  Closure involved going through the intact nail for a few of the sutures.  Tissue approximation was moderately good.  The depth of the laceration was such that the bony fragment was visualized, obviously an open fracture.

Dressing applied.
Patient tolerated procedure well.

Comments

• Anyone??

Good afternoon,
    Based on this note, what code do you guys think this might be? The provider wants to code 12002, but I am leaning more towards 12032 since the doctor say the bone. What do others think? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Labs/studies: toe X-ray: comminuted fracture, distal phalanx

Procedure note: laceration repair:
    Discussed laceration with patient including indication and recommendation for suturing and patient gave verbal informed consent.

The laceration site was given a surgical prep with Hibiclens and saline rinse.
    Anesthesia: 4 cc's of 2% lidocaine without epinephrine with good results.
    The laceration was closed with 3-0 PDS suture material, using a simple interrupted suture pattern, 7 sutures total. I needed to removed the avulsed portion of the nail. Closure involved going through the intact nail for a few of the sutures. Tissue approximation was moderately good. The depth of the laceration was such that the bony fragment was visualized, obviously an open fracture.

Dressing applied.
    Patient tolerated procedure well.
  • edited May 2017
    I agree with 12032; the depth was down to the bone.
    Jen Vasquez, CPC, CEMC 

• edited May 2017
    It may have been an intermediate laceration but it is a simple repair. It's not uncommon for a deep laceration to get a simple repair.

TT

Todd Thomas, CPC, CCS-P ERcoder, Inc
    President 941 NW 164th, Suite 1
    todd@ercoder.com Edmond, OK 73013
    (405) 749-2633 www.ERcoder.com