A non-credentialed cardiologist

If a new doctor is not credentialed yet & reads a test. The new doctor signs the note and then a credentialed cardiologist signs that same note. Can this be billed under the credentialed doctor? Thanks.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    who is making the medical decision making at the time of service with the test results? That should be the person billing it.

Don

Don Self & Associates, Inc

305 Senter Ave, Whitehouse, TX 75791
    903 871-1172 fax 480-247-5650
    donself@donself.com web: www.donself.com
    free webinars at www.donself.com

• Is this part of an E/M...or the billing of the actual global service/interpretation of the test?

Kris

Kris Cuddy, CPC, CIMC
    Healthcare Compliance Analyst
    Compliance Office
    Michigan State University HealthTeam
    East Lansing, MI
    Ofc: 517-355-4547
    Fax: 517-353-5292

• It is billing for the interpretation of the test.

-
  • edited May 2017
    The credentialed provider would have to re-read and document their findings, instead of just cosigning the note. There is no mechanism for a MD to bill for the services provided by another fully licensed MD.

TT

• I agree. Just because the credentialing isn't in place, doesn't give credo as if one doctor is supervising another doctor. Specific carriers may have their own rules though, so I'd recommend asking the carrier(s).

Kris

Kris Cuddy, CPC, CIMC
    Compliance Office
    East Lansing, MI

• edited May 2017
    Exactly what I was going to say.

• edited May 2017
    ------=_Part_161047_860021737.1468419683729
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I do radiology billing, you cannot bill under another credentialed doc unless they repeat the reading and become the signer. there is no incident to in lab billing.
    sharon

• Even more than that Sharon, it’s not incident to because it’s not a physician supervising a non-physician provider or other staff, or a non-physician provider supervising other staff…this is doctor to doctor. The ONLY possible way it could be allowed is if a specific carrier said it was okay.

Kris

Kris Cuddy, CPC, CIMC
    Compliance Office
    East Lansing, MI